You had asked if I tried to compile elementary on MacOS-X.

The elementary package from the Dec 2009 snapshot is a single
directory containing the usual autogen.sh, etc. The configure script
finishes without error, but it fails on make:
In file included from ./Elementary.h:70,
                  from elm_main.c:15:
/usr/local/include/Ecore_Job.h:44: error: conflicting types for
'Ecore_Job'
/usr/local/include/Ecore.h:155: error: previous declaration of
'Ecore_Job' was here

The elementary package in the current svn contains four
subdirectories: calculator, converter, phonebook, sticky-notes. I
tried to run ./autogen.sh in calculator, and it fails the configure
script:
checking for working alloca.h... yes
checking for alloca... yes
checking for __attribute__... yes
./configure: line 11279: syntax error near unexpected token
`ELEMENTARY,'
./configure: line 11279: `PKG_CHECK_MODULES(ELEMENTARY, elementary)'

That's as far as I've gotten on elementary.

Dave