On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 3:26 PM, Dave Andreoli <d...@gurumeditation.it> wrote:
> 2010/12/20 Rafael Fonseca <rfons...@profusion.mobi>:
>>> Also: are you going to support this script? This kind of stuff will be
>>> outdated in a short time...
>>>
>>> I'm telling this because I tryed to do the same (with reasy) and I
>>> fault. I marked my script as deprecatd on my site last week, because
>>> keeping it 'on-sync' is a too-heavy task (change in our svn and change
>>> in distro package make reasy outdated every 4 months)
>>
>> The idea to put it in svn was to make it easier to keep it updated
>> since more people can contribute to it.
>>
>>> also I really dont like the way you store installed stuff in different
>>> directories based on REV. This can cause
>>> more problems IMO.
>>> Don't get me wrong, I really think we need such a script in SVN and be
>>> it the offical way to install EFL+E17,
>>> but we need to discuss the way we want the script to work.
>>
>> Well, it is not a personal script so it can be modified at will. And
>> if you guys think it does not fit the source tree, take it off. I
>> won't send ninjas after you because of that ;)
>
> I dont want to remove the script from svn, but I would like if we could
> discuss
> it's feature.
> Your script lacks a lot of functionality (present in easy_e17 and
> reasy), so we need
> to make your script better. As I told you (and also Tom agree) the
> FOLDER-SVNREV
> is crazy: I compile the whole stuff once a week and frequently only
> just some pkgs,
> so that feature really hurt me.
>
> Can you remove that? or at least make it optionable?
> After that I will be more than happy to help (discuss&code) on your
> script, it need lots
> of work!
>
> NOTE: I will send ninja after you if you don't agree  :D

As I demanded this script from Rafael, I guess I can try to justify
it's existence, but if you don't agree, just remove it. Neither Rafael
or myself will have time to maintain this script too much, consider
that.

Why not existing scripts: they do too much and raster disliked it.
Search the list, or wait him to reply. He said we should have a new
script that does just the minimum "official" efl and nothing else.
Thus we did it. It will NEVER install non-core libraries, as it's not
the point. That means no E-MODULES-EXTRA, no PROTO... no ecomorph,
etc.

Why one revision per folder. Talking to raster in person (but I'm
pretty sure you can find logs in IRC and mails) he complained that
people that install packages manually end with cruft. This cruft hurts
us, because users go and say "Evas does not work" and after lots of
effort you realize there were old modules in /usr/lib/eina/ that broke
it.   We tried to solve it by means of ABI/soname, but even those were
not 100% safe.
     Also people in order to "save time" do the wrong thing and do not
"make uninstall clean" before compiling, ending with stale libraries
and so on. This script should handle this as well.
     Last but not least, the per-folder naming makes it ATOMICALLY.
You do not end with traps like in Gentoo that you may install a new
eina but the evas is not compiled and you end with evas using new
eina, which could be a problem given our instable ABI.

For all these reasons we have a new script with one revision per
folder. If you disagree just propose a solution to these points, or
just ignore the script, or remove it.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems