On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 07:01:19 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
<m...@zentific.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 20:58:09 +1000
> David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 26 Oct 2011 06:52:06 -0400 Mike Blumenkrantz
> > <m...@zentific.com> wrote:

> > > If you have to call this function, you are doing something wrong.
> >
> > Then why does it exist?
> >
> > The response to that signal takes some time, I want the rest of the
> > system to keep ticking over during that lengthy process.  This is
> > precisely why such functions exist, no?
> >
> No, functions like this exist so that programmers who aren't using
> events/callbacks properly can hackishly make their code work in ways
> that it shouldn't.
>
> If the response takes time, you should be adding an fd handler or a
> timer/event to manage it. I can't really give you specifics because
> I'm lazy and you didn't provide examples.

I really wish I COULD use an fd handler, timer, or event on a series of
file renames, deletions, and especially syncs.  I spent a lot of time
trying to figure out how to do it all with callbacks, and could not
find any such solution.  At least not anything would not make the code
way harder to understand.  Having the code be easy to understand is a
strict requirement of this project.