On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 1:06 PM, David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jun 2012 00:29:57 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

>> > You don't quite understand what I'm saying.  Those terminal titles
>> > in the tabs is EXACTLY the functionality that would be missed.  They
>> > contain information that is useful some times to some people.  That
>>
>> you made my point for me.. SOME of the time SOME people want just a
>> title. SOME. ... MOST don't go run the exact same identical thing so
>> its unrecognisable in N tabs. optimize for the common case first.
>
> You where not talking about optimising a common case, you where talking
> about throwing out the antiquated idea of tabs coz you thought you
> could do it better.  I'm pointing out that "better" does not mean
> throwing away perfectly good functionality.
>
> Sooo, programs want to display their little bit of text on the term
> title / tab for whatever reason.  Where does this little bit of text
> go?  A tab is the perfect spot for it.  You still have not answered the
> basic fundamental problem, how are you replacing this functionality
> with your "better" idea?
>
> You are only implementing half the functionality, and trying to brush
> off the other half coz it does not fit into your idea of what a flash
> program should look like.  Most people are not expecting flash from a
> terminal program.
>
> You can make it flash all you want, but if it's only doing half the
> job, you can't call it "better".
>
> Most people don't want to show a video as the background for their
> terminal.  Can't say you are optimising for any common case there.  lol
>
> It's not like tabs is harder than what you want to do.  You just think
> it's too old fashioned to WANT to do it.

Exactly and these are the points I'm arguing with him... but he won't
listen, it's his thing and it must be good for him and that's it.  So
far I gave up on this, let's just make it a lib and we can have a "old
fashioned" term for those who want them.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri
http://profusion.mobi embedded systems