I think this is just a case of a project's author disagreeing with
community feedback. The question that comes to mind is "Does a developer of
an open source project have to implement features that other people want if
he does not want to?" Or, even without the element of the author doing the
work, does the initial/primary author retain control over a project to the
degree that he still gets to determine which features go into a project?

I'm inclined to say that if a project starts out as a community effort, it
should remain one -- popular/requested features should be added.

This project, however, did not start as a community effort. One person
wrote (and continues to write) the majority of the code, and then he
committed it so other people could play with it. On this level, I consider
it disrespectful to "demand" that features get added against the primary
author's desires, regardless of whether this person will actually be doing
the work.

The unfortunate part here is that this is the new "EFL community terminal";
we want to be able to tinker with it and add features and stuff as we want,
but we still must accede to one person's wishes. It's difficult to accept
being told "no" when you're hacking on something non-commercial in your
free time; there's certainly no fun in it.

There seem to be two solutions in this situation:
1) Agree with everything the author says, and don't add features that he
doesn't want
2) Spend some time discussing (not on the mailing list, I have enough shit
to read without more flame wars; thanks for your consideration) the issue.
I would hope that reasonable features would not be blocked for unreasonable
reasons (imo "I might have a better idea for doing this in the future so
you can't do anything related to it now" is pretty unreasonable).

Regardless of the outcome, I'd really appreciate it if there could be a
more civil attitude taken throughout these discussions in general. There's
no need for throwing tantrums, name calling, and drama-laden exits when
things don't go your way. We're all adults here, let's act like it.