Felipe Magno de Almeida wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I would like to share some ideas for Bob, which I see as an evolution
> of edje. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
>
> Since I've started developing, back in 2008, a C++ Gui Library, which
> has been already removed from assembla a long time ago, I've already
> been eyeing the project Adam&Eve from Adobe Software Library (ASL).
> Documentation can be found here:
> http://stlab.adobe.com/group__asl__overview.html
>
> I think it is obvious the advantage of writing in a declarative way a
> UI. But, writing UIs in EFL/Elementary are still a bit awkward and
> requires more code than is necessary, because edje doesn't offer a
> more dynamic layout setting. This generally requires box widgets to be
> instantiated and edje layouts to be placed as small fixed dialogs
> inside a multiple boxed layout.
>
> If bob/edje would incorporate ASL's Adam&Eve idea, we could develop
> more fluid and easily portable layouts that would could ease
> developing applications based in EFL. The layout "language" could be
> written in Lua and a C engine could do the automatic layout placement.
> It would require that the language gives room for manual placement so
> the layout can be finely-tuned too, but I think this idea can vastly
> ease development of UI for applications.
>
> BTW, there was a question about constraint solver on the ML recently.
> I think it might've been related to this topic.
>
> Regards,

    Ahhhh, surely you were around during the great config data wars. No?
Well, it's complicated... but in brief:
    There was a time, not too long ago, when chaos ruled. It's true.
Everyone
had their own way of storing various kinds of data, had to write their own
parsers, apis, etc. It was a lively time but lacked unity and clarity.
    Then some great WWWizards got together and created XML and the DOM.
Everyone rejoiced! At last, one method to rule them all! It was da thing.
It even allowed for more dynamic aspects via your choice of scripting
languages, though javascript was generally the ruling one.

    Soon, following the example of HTML, this was applied to describing
UI's by many... Mozilla, Adobe, MS, and others did it and we saw things like
xul, mxml, xaml, and other x and l combinations. Some even allowed for
various mixings of them (notably Mozilla which had allowed for mixed html,
svg and xul namespaces in a single file).

    But not everyone was happy... some cried that ze DOM was too slow,
and ze XML syntax too verbose... Many independent minded rebels went
their own way, one even did an edc thing... Soon, a rebel alliance, using
the dominant  javascript scripting language as a guide, came up with JSON.
    Many then rejoiced anew... alas, it is this one that is da true
thing! And some
like Sun, Nokia/Qt, and others embraced this new thing and we saw
javafx, qml,
and other new declarative/scripted UI's.

    But perhaps neither one is truly, da true thing after all you say?
Maybe it's a
Lua based thingy that will be better? Ummmm..........

    As to edje and elm. Well, edje predates elem by quite a few years and so
you don't see edje "part" types that correspond to elem widget types
(rather, you
actually use basic edje parts to theme elem widgets, as ewl and etk did
long ago).
    Edje was not extensible so you couldn't just extend the lib by
adding new part types..
so some people came up with a simple 'modules' based method to add some
amount of extensibility and hence you have the edje EXTERNAL part type.
    Such an edje module for elem exists (or did) and if you use it you
can indeed
define elem guis via edje/edc. You can ask Gustavo and I'm sure he'll be
able
to show you some good examples.. it can actually be very powerful.
    However, it's not pretty... Using the EXTERNAL part in this way (ie.
with something
like elem) was not really its intended use at the start (though Brian
did want that),
and last I recall (several years ago) there were still issues with
signal propagation
to nested children.

http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/52d78ab7a081cab33eb3st01duc