On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 08:48:09 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Feb 2014 18:37:30 -0500 Michael Blumenkrantz
> <michael.blumenkra...@gmail.com> said:
>
> > On Thu, 6 Feb 2014 08:32:46 +0900
> > Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > > it SHOULD be in the border because it is the border shape that casts the
> > > shadow. example - imagine the border was a set of ivy leaves (not square)
> > > and they changed look/shape as the border resized or even animated.
> > >
> > > but as such we had a visual bug here so one of the shadows had to go.
> > > maybe
> > > the borderless window frame (as it is actually an edje group) should have
> > > just a shadow by itself? but then we have a problem - we have to add or
> > > remove this shadow based on the client argb/shape status. border
> > > remembers/matches do not have this ability so it'd have to be done in code
> > > as a special choice - "borderless" vs "borderless-plain" (no shadow) done
> > > in code.
> > >

> > what you're describing here with the shadow on the frame is exactly what you
> > tried to remove with this commit, so I'm not sure how that works. if there
> > were double shadows, then that's just a problem with signalling and has
> > nothing to do with the theme.
>
> comp had a shadow added. border also had a shadow. the signalling of shadow
> on/off was a preference when i implemented it - not a choice mechanism of who
> provides the shadow, so i had to choose which provided the shadow.
>
> border should, BUT then i'd also have to fix all the popup shadows for
> shelves,
> menus, and all the other frame styles (the flip, rotates etc.) so the above
> was
> the quicker way.

Actually, all of these just inherit from the default group. this group has to
have a shadow because it's where borderless windows get shadows from.

> it was 2am and i was also chasing pager16 bugs after yet another day of not
> being able to do anything in a row and squeezing in my work in my own time
> after
> 12hrs at the office so i wasn't going to spend the rest of the night hunting
> down every case to fix the regression. :) feel free to fix it properly but
> then
> you have to cope with all of the above fixing too (shelves/popups, menus, blah
> blah blah). but for now the visual bug is gone. (in pager16 too).

The double shadows was most likely from a signalling issue which I fixed
earlier today.

I already redid menus to have their own shadow (which you also removed), but
they don't look right; I suspect it's a clipping issue, and shadow appearance
is the lowest of the low priority issues for me so I haven't bothered looking
at it yet.

This just leaves gadcon popups (trivial) and shelves (also trivial) as the
things which need their own shadows in group, both of which will be done before
release.

> and now for another day after a bit over 5hrs sleep...

Sleep is hard.