On Tue, 20 May 2014 18:46:24 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
<ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2014 17:11:59 +1000 David Seikel <onef...@gmail.com>
> said:
>
> > On Tue, 20 May 2014 15:50:54 +0900 Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman)
> > <ras...@rasterman.com> wrote:

> > > not so simple. as daniel mentioned.. this is doable with a resize
> > > multipling by scale... what we are currently missign in elm is 2
> > > things.
> > >
> > > 1. a nice simple way to add extra minimum sizing to a widget.
> > > currently the ADVICE it so make a table, put an invisible rect in
> > > the 0,0 1x1 cell ANd your real widget in the same cell. set a min
> > > size hint on the rect and presto - it acts as an extra "control"
> > > on the table and thus your widget (set widget to fill/expand).
> > > you can set the min size and multiple by scaling if you want.
> > > it'd be likely useful if this trick were formalised into a widget
> > > and/or some utility func. a simple elc_ thing to wrap this up
> > > would work - then if it scales the min size by scale factor or
> > > also put in finger size.
> > >
> > > and
> > >
> > > 2. more your focus - though #1 often is related. you want a
> > > *PREFERRED* size for an object - an initial size that is possibly
> > > bigger than min size and less than max - somewhere in between.
> > > believe it or not we have a "request" size which is kind of
> > > intended for exactly this. what we DON'T have is logic in elm
> > > that...
> > >
> > >   * watches for changes in preferred size and if > 0x0, just like
> > > min size, propagates preferred size to a parent widget.
> > >   * that takes preferred size once it propagates to the window
> > > and on first show actually resizes to that size
> > >   * code that might set preferred size AND account for scaling
> > >
> > > reality is that you have a window where some widget (or widgets)
> > > - eg the text entry, is what you want to have at a preferred size
> > > on start... not the window as a whole, so you really want this
> > > propagation. it requires the same calcs as min - but providing
> > > preferred size as if it were min, then passing onto parent
> > > etc. ... this is what we really want. problem is - we haven't
> > > done it yet. this is the solution we want... not elm_win_reisze
> > > (that uses scaling) which is just as much a "workaround" as
> > > evas_object_resize on the window itself :)
> >
> > Yes, I agree with that, Elm handling of minimum sizes seems to be
> > almost entirely lacking or broken.  In particular I've stumbled on
> > entrys and naviframes seem to set their minimum width to what ever
> > you set the original width to, but their minimum height to zero.
>
> i dont know abut naviframe, but entries - depends on content.
> scrollable entries (the common case) - never.

Nope.  Unless the problem is that box doesn't bother to get the minimum
size from child objects.  I have two scrollable entries in a box, plus a
button.  When I resize the window they are in down to minimum size, the
height of the entries goes all the way down to zero, the button doesn't
change height.

> the problem is the
> wrapping where min height depends on width. its a sticky case to
> solve. none of the above changes this though... unless you meant the
> first where you can now add an additional min size on something (in
> addition to its native min size)

Well, for scrollable entries, I would guess that being big enough to
see all the parts of the scroll bar so you can use it should be minimum.
B-)