On Wed, 28 May 2014 08:34:35 +0200 Guillaume Friloux <guilla...@friloux.me>
said:

> Stripping quotes as it gets big.
>
> On 14/05/28, Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> > also ask stefan how much easier it is to do releases of efl now - having it
> > merged means we can release more often because its far less work. the
> > problem is you are ignoring all the upsides to what we did because it's
> > different to your previous build setup and you need to adapt.
>
> My problem is not with auto select.
> auto select also had an impact here for me at the begin when i started to
> package debian/centos/fedora/archlinux.
>
> > we will merge libs. that's my plan for efl 2.0 - likely it'll be merged
> > into 2 libs (maybe 3) libefl-core.so libefl-gfx.so and maybe libefl-etc.so.
> > guess which does what?
> This is the kind of things that would ease my work.

it'll still be a single tree build.

> > > When i decided to use EFL, one of its major point was its modularity,
> > > it was all cool for me because i could just build what i needed, and
> > > everyone by that time was happy about that, and claiming it would stay
> > > like that.
> >
> > and that modularity cost us a lot in terms of support from distributions
> > and in complexity to build along with complaints. it was a nice theory, but
> > in practice it fell over badly. do a survey of efl devs and ask them which
> > is better. they will almost all say that a unified tree is better, and we
> > likely want to merge even more.
> >
> Maybe i have to clear it up : My problem is not the unified tree, but my
> problem started at the same time.

> > you can ALSO just keep a list of files you DO want (files and dirs) and use
> > that list to copy/tar just those and the subdirs, nuke the rest, then untar
> > or move back in place. so you have 2 ways to do it.
> Indeed, it is a simple thing that is way easier to do for me, and i didnt
> though about it.

:) i guess this is why i scratch my head a bit and wonder why you are so upset.
i see a very easy solution in front of me. :)

> > if you do it right, it's no different to keeping up with efl if we kept it
> > as it was - as it was we'd add new things that would be on by default that
> > you have to --disable and thus keep up somehow.
> Having a --disable-gui is the only thing i would need.

we are open to patches having this as a way of building a server profile - but
yes, it may break if someone forgets to do the right thing when a new gui thing
is added and then doesn't disable on build. breaks happen. that's life when we
move forward. testing and bringing up the issues you see is a way of fixing
it. :)

> > so you know we can't do what you want us to do... but you complain bitterly
> > anyway? dude! chill! :)
> nah, my real problem isnt that 1.7 wont get fixes anymore, its only the final
> stage that got me in an embarrassing situation.
>
> > so we keep making things worse for 90%+ of our users to keep 10% from
> > having to adapt? you can adapt and have exactly what you want. see above.
> We can put many things in 'adapt'.

sure. yoou have to adapt to 2 years of development - we move forward fast. :)

> > this is actually true - especially of gnentoo and all its USE flags. idiots
> > who think they are cool enable "xcb" use flags because someone told them
> > xcb is faster and then they find certain features not working in e or efl
> > because xcb support isnt there or it's iffy (xcb with opengl is impossible
> > so we have a hack to keep xlib and then drop to xcb behind xlibs back - but
> > some drivers are far from happy with this). the CONTINUAL questions of
> > "what is the build order" from people REGARDLESS that we documented it on
> > the website - they still keep asking. it is was a problem. now its gone.
> >
> To solve your problems under the GUI world, you disabled me from disabling
> the GUI world.

nah - i just see it as you packaging only the bits you need and ignoring the
bits you don't :)