On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 18:44:09 -0800 Steve Arnold <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:35:40 -0800 (PST)
> Jonathan Charnas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > rpm based distro.
>
> http://www.caosity.org/
>
> cAos is fast, rpm-based, and has some fairly minimal install
> configurations.  It uses some of the latest 2.4 kernel code, and yum
> (sort of like apt-get) on top of rpm. It's just now at 1.0 so it
> still has some growth and maturing to do.  Perfect time to get a
> nice set of e-apps/libs included, and perhaps even a default install
> option (something like e-cAos desktop?).

good research - bad angle. read their mission statement.

---8<-------------------------
The Mission
To provide a completely open source stable Operating System distribution
targeting production environments such as data centers, enterprises and research
centers. In that vein, support and security patches for releases will be for 5
years. This solution intends, from the start to be Linux Standards Base
compliant and focused on the community needs.

The Goal
The final product will be an administrators Operating System. This means that we
are trying to make a system specifically for the user, and the primary user of a
Unix type system is the administrator. Design decisions will be made
specifically to facilitate easy straight forward administration without trading
flexibility or standardization. We will implement tools that facilitate
management, known standards, and as always giving security foremost attention.
The end result will be a system which is easy to maintain for both advanced
engineers as well as desktop users.

While cAos is geared towards straight forward administration, it is designed as
a scientific computing platform. This will not limit it to the scientific
computing arena as it includes software that will make it suitable for not only
HPC clustering but also desktop computing, and a general server.

By the release of cAos1 we will be able to provide a stable Operating System. We
realize this is a lot of work, thus are focusing our efforts on a base system.
This will include a working usable Linux system that includes a basic
development enviornment, the X Window System, Gnome2, Mozilla, etc. This will
not be a package-rich release, but will allow for package expansion while still
being a usable solution.

The release of version 1.0 signifies more then the release of the OS, but the
infrastructure to support further development, builds, versions, and community
involvement.

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)