On Wed, 3 Mar 2004 13:35:40 -0800 (PST) Jonathan Charnas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
babbled:

> I'm no expert about this, but I really like the idea. I was hoping to
> switch distros myself sometime soon (soon meaning within 4 months).
> As a mandrake user, I can tell you what I like and what I don't like:
> Likes:
> ease of installation
> frequent updates, whether security or just new version of a program
> urpmi tool (kinda like apt, but different, they have a gui for it too)
> ease to install E
>
> Dislikes:
> configuration tools not really adequate for non newbie users
> difficulty to install new programs through rpms ( always have to be
> <blabla>.ix86.mdk.rpm, not any rpm, their names and deps are different)
>
> sometimes hard to compile programs because libs in path have a version #
> to it, have to make simlinks to have a correct compile.
>
> rpm based distro.
>

> All this to say that I would personally love see a distro of the same kind
> as gentoo, only a little easier to install (presets for various machines
> or hardware for instance). If I hadn't run into so many difficulties
> trying to install gentoo the first time, I would keep running it. The
> thing with gentoo is it installs only what you need, and compiled for your
> needs. In my opinion it's the best idea. What could make it easier would
> be a text configuration utility that asks for your hardware and sets the
> best options automatically and starts compiling the base programs on its
> own.
> In short a mix of gentoo and mandrake would be perfect. I don't know if
> it's feasible, and many of Mdk's configuration programs might be non
> open-source, which might be a little tricky in case of inclusion in a new
> distro.
>
> And for a name, how about "En-tux" ?
>
> Hoping for some actions to happen and contributions to give to this
> project soon,

well the real question is - will this actually become a project. i know i've
bitched about sysv init for years - i just haven't sat down and had the time to
fix it. i have enough on my plate these days. if i was paid to do all this i
probably would get to it, but i'm not, so this is definitely looking for
interested parties who have experience and know-how who agree on what to do - if
they are willing to dedicate themselves? i don't think this is a project to go
compete with a major dist - it's a LOT of dedicated work to do that. u need a
different angle to make it even vaguely worth your while. i know kainx maintains
vermillion and thats a tonne of work. there's spanky and he works on gentoo
packages and others on debian - i dont say any of these are bad, but they dont
address a lot of issues and likely wont. i personally am not font of politics
and so i wouldn't even dream of trying to change an existing dist to address
those as i see a political battlefield in all this.

anyway - so importantly - are there enough people willing to be dedicated to
this?

熊耳 - 車君 (数田)                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tokyo, Japan (東京 日本)