On Monday 16 August 2010 12:55:19 jason.mel...@gmail.com wrote:
> Some of my applications do not have valid icons in e17. Google Chrome for
> example, displays a missing icon (black circle with question mark inside).
> Chrome is installed to /opt/google/chome, and in that folder are
> several .png and .xpm files. I have tried to right-click on a running
> chrome application, select Edit Icon, and from the Icon tab,
> replace "google-chrome" with the full path to several of the .png and .xpm
> files. When I do so, the image shows up in the preview window, however the
> setting does not apply. That is, clicking apply or okay does not replace
> the icon file and the next time I open the dialog up, the icon file again
> says "google-chrome".
>
> What is the proper way to set the icon for an application?

I have noticed the same.  Some applications will readily use
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/ icons, others won't and display a ?

Even if I select one manually by right clicking on the top left corner of the
window and go to 'More/Border/Use Application Provided Icon', the selection
does not stick when I relaunch the application.  I can't be bothered to create
my own .desktop files just for using the right icon, so I have been living
with it.  No idea why this difference between apps though.
--
Regards,
Mick