On Friday 13 May 2011 00:50:04 Carsten Haitzler wrote:
> On Thu, 12 May 2011 17:46:54 +0200 PaulTT <pau...@gmail.com> said:
> > On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 4:38 AM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
wrote:
> > > On Tue, 3 May 2011 21:43:46 -0300 Wido <wido...@gmail.com> said:
> > >
> > > no they asked about APPLICATION menus being split out. not just having
> > > things in e that can display menus. the actual app menu at the top of
> > > app windows is removed from app (requires app/toolkit support) and
> > > then moved to a shared mac-os style single menu bar at the screen top.
> > > (which is actually fundamentally incompatible with things like pointer
> > > focus).
> >
> > yes, you understood in the right way (i had no doubt about ;P)
> >
> > and yes, it's pratically unuseful with mouse pointer focus (which btwI i
> > use)
> >
> > i was curious primarily because of new gnome3 and unity interfaces
>
> understood. :) and as i said. no support for it. it's not even on a todo
> list or on a wishlist for me. i don't see the point. it's extra
> complexity, rules out things like pointer/sloppy foucs and i argue has no
> usability gain over menus inside a window. sure you can kind of argue
> "fitts law" (ie just slide mouse up to top of screen), but you still have
> to place the mouse horizontally at the right menu location anyway and then
> u still need to navigate to the right item. the mouse now also has to
> travel further to the top of the screen AND the menu bar is visually
> detached from the application it belongs to and only 1 is visible at a
> time, these negating any possible gains in screen realestate and fitts law
> imho. i'm sure this is up for debate, but i am not seeing a justification
> of the work involved to support it nor the loss of other time saving
> features (pointer focus).

+1

I'd rather have the menu bar of the application on the application window
itself and also much prefer sloppy focus.  With larger and larger/wider
screens when moving from the bottom right to the top left is soon becoming a
session in Wii-Fit on its own!  So I'll vote against making e an applemac me-
too.

--
Regards,
Mick