On Thu, 12 Dec 2013 06:49:23 +0000
Mick <michaelkintz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wednesday 11 Dec 2013 21:50:41 Christopher Barry wrote:
>
> > Mick, can you post your /var/log/Xorg.0.log on pastebin or
> > somewhere for me? I'm assuming you are using the opengl compositing
> > with radeon driver. I think I may have some remnants of ati stuff
> > on my box, and would like to see what your log says.
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> Here you go:
>
>   http://pastebin.com/edFZPTbr

Thanks. I've got the Radeon OSS driver running correctly now on my
Radeon HD 7850 (PITCAIRN). It will do triplehead (aka Eyefinity) fine
with the OSS driver. The trick for me was to let X probe everything, but
use xrandr in a script file called from both /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf
and /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xrandr-layout (which I created) to organize
my screens correctly.

For me, the contents of the layout script was written by a handy
little app called 'arandr', and looks like this:

# screen layout script
#!/bin/bash
xrandr --output DisplayPort-0 --off \
  --output DVI-1 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 0x0 --rotate normal \
  --output DVI-0 --mode 1920x1200 --pos 1920x0 --rotate normal \
  --output HDMI-0 --off

I saved the script in /usr/bin/xrandr-screen-layout, and called it
from /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xrandr-layout (a single line in there), and
from /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf, using the following config item:
display-setup-script=/usr/bin/xrandr-screen-layout

I wrote a full xorg.conf, but for some reason, because my DisplayPort-0
does not yet have my third monitor hooked up (I need a mini to regular
adaptor to make my active DP->DVI dongle work), I could not get the
xorg.conf working. It kept trying to put my first screen on the
DisplayPort-0 anyway, and I could not figure out how to tell X to not
use it :(. I'm sure there is a way and would LOVE to know how if anyone
knows.

Once I get the adaptor, and hookup DisplayPort-0, I'll modify the
script to enable correct placement of that third monitor too.

Took literally all f*(<ing day to do it, but YAY - FINALLY everything is
working now!! I still see some stuff in my log I'm not keen on, like:

(II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling: disabled
(II) RADEON(0): KMS Color Tiling 2D: disabled

and

(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI2 capable
(II) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable
(II) AIGLX: Loaded and initialized swrast
(II) GLX: Initialized DRISWRAST GL provider for screen 0
(II) RADEON(0): Setting screen physical size to 508 x 317

but I think the latter has to do with DisplayPort-0 not being active
yet, and it's the card's primary port.

Hopefully this can help someone else wean themselves off of
the proprietary ATI/Catalyst/fglrx.

Next up: take the e18 plunge :)

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
Hildebrant's Principle:
        If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you
there.