On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:18:08 -0500
mh <mhe...@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>On 01/10/2014 10:11 AM, mh wrote:
>> I don't understand. Running e18.2, efl 1.8.4, if I echo $PATH in a
>> terminal I get: /opt/e18/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin. I have e
>> installed in /opt/e18/.
>>
>> If I logout and then login to xfce, echo $PATH, I get:
>> /usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin
>>
>> I looked in ~/.bashrc but there is nothing there adding /opt/e18/bin
>> to PATH. Where is that set?
>
>I've searched and read about environmental variables, looked at
>/etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, .profile, .bashrc and don't see where
>it's set.  Interactive and non-interactive terminals.
>
>Logging into a tty after starting e show the paths I expect shown in
>/etc/profile. I'm running Debian.
>
>If I start terminology in e as user, echo $PATH has /opt/e18/bin: as
>the first location, but if I become root, echo $PATH does not
>have /opt/e18/bin.
>
>Is the path to the enlightenment bin directory built into e at compile
>time? I just want to understand where that's being read from.
>
>Thanks,
>
>mike

how about trying this:

# grep -H -r -w "PATH=" {/etc,/opt,~/} | grep e18

to show you all files that mention e18 in the PATH var. You either see
it spelled out or not. That should show whether e is setting it
internally from compiled code or not, from it's non-presence in the
grep output, or it'll show you the file where it's defined.

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.