On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 17:15:16 -0500
mh <mhe...@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>On 01/11/2014 01:03 PM, Christopher Barry wrote:
>> On Sat, 11 Jan 2014 10:18:08 -0500
>> mh <mhe...@member.fsf.org> wrote:

>>> I've searched and read about environmental variables, looked at
>>> /etc/profile, /etc/bash.bashrc, .profile, .bashrc and don't see
>>> where it's set.  Interactive and non-interactive terminals.
>>>
>>> Logging into a tty after starting e show the paths I expect shown in
>>> /etc/profile. I'm running Debian.
>>>
>>> If I start terminology in e as user, echo $PATH has /opt/e18/bin: as
>>> the first location, but if I become root, echo $PATH does not
>>> have /opt/e18/bin.
>>>
>>> Is the path to the enlightenment bin directory built into e at
>>> compile time? I just want to understand where that's being read
>>> from.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> mike
>>>

>> how about trying this:
>>
>> # grep -H -r -w "PATH=" {/etc,/opt,~/} | grep e18
>>
>> to show you all files that mention e18 in the PATH var. You either
>> see it spelled out or not. That should show whether e is setting it
>> internally from compiled code or not, from it's non-presence in the
>> grep output, or it'll show you the file where it's defined.
>>
>> --
>> Regards,
>> Christopher Barry
>>
>> Random geeky fortune:
>> The UNIX philosophy basically involves giving you enough rope to
>> hang yourself.  And then a couple of feet more, just to be sure.
>
>Thanks Christopher. I ran the grep command ( I need to spend more time
>with grep! ). I didn't seen any output from /etc or my home directory.
>The /opt directory matched in these:
>
>Binary file /opt/e18/lib/libeina.so.1.8.3 matches
>Binary file /opt/e18/lib/enlightenment/utils/enlightenment_sys matches
>Binary file /opt/e18/lib/libeina.so.1.8.4 matches
>Binary file /opt/e18/bin/enlightenment matches
>
>So it looks like it might be compiled in? I also tried creating a new
>user account that didn't have a ~/.bashrc file. PATH still included
>the /opt/e18/bin at the front. I bet Raster knows for sure, but I'm
>sure Raster is wicked busy too :)
>
>Thanks again,
>mike

Mike,

My assumption is you set PREFIX=/opt when compiling. Logically, the
code wants other 'e' things to know that. xfce does not need to know
about /opt, so it's not included in the path. If you just want xfce to
know about /opt/e18/bin (or wherever), then simply add it to your PATH.

--
Regards,
Christopher Barry

Random geeky fortune:
Virginia law forbids bathtubs in the house; tubs must be kept in the
yard.