On Wednesday 12 Feb 2014 08:51:04 Jesús J. Guerrero Botella wrote:

> Jokes aside, I don't want to blame anyone, but as Alan McKinnon said above,
> that is supposed to be the responsibility of the one that makes the ebuild.
> Otherwise, I'd just use LFS and keep the pieces myself.

As Alan showed when you use the -a or -p option in emerge you are being warned
about xcb.  That should be enough for most users to disable xcb, or return
back to disable it if the emerged package doesn't work as expected.

> Anyway, I repeat this came from an unofficial ebuild, though on the other
> side the official one didn't even work (portage has only e17, which turns
> my screen off). So I am not sure what to do about this, I guess the most
> sane way of fixing this in Gentoo would be to first add e18, then you have
> to wait for it to be stabilized (one  month minimum), in the way, make the
> necessary changes and, either remove the xcb USE flag or mask it hard so
> that only those really interested and capable of dealing with that can use
> it. At least until (if) the xcb support stabilizes.

I can't recall what you tried with e17, but if you remove your ~/.e/ and start
afresh you can disable the splash screen in the Settings, after you go through
the wizard set up session.  There was a problem with some e17 version causing
some PCs to blank out and you either had to wipe your ~/.e as I suggested
above or:

1. Locate ~/.e/e/config/standard/e.cfg file and dive into that directory.

2. Run:  eet -d e.cfg config content.txt

3. Edit content.txt and change:

       value "show_splash" int: 1

   to 0.

4. Run: eet -e e.cfg config content.txt 1

If you are still losing your screen when launching e17, then something else
probably related to the radeon driver is causing it.  Honestly though, I would
stay with e18 from the enlightenment overlay.  It is rock solid on two radeon
PCs here.  Hope it works for you.

--
Regards,
Mick