Well, I don't have any problem with using whatever is suggested upstream.
The thing with USE flags is that they can be set globally, and when an
ebuild has an USE flag to enable or disable a given feature you are
supposed to be able to use that, that is, unless the ebuild has an ewarn
about it or the USE is masked. I try to make use of the documentation when
available, however this time I neglected to do so, mostly because a hard
lock is not something that's usually documented and partly because, to
start with, I didn't even know where to start looking.

Admittedly, the ebuild I was using wasn't from the official repo (mostly
because 0.18 is not in the official tree and e17, which is, doesn't work at
all).

As for the config issues, yes, I'll read as time permits and try to make
myself at home, someday.

Again, thanks :)

--
Jesús Guerrero Botella