OK, I think I figured out part of the mystery: My E is installed to
/opt/e. Hence also the efreet dbus service files finished up in this
location and my dbus was, of course, not picking up those files. Now
I've symlinked them to a proper location, E can talk with Efreet, icon
themes show up and most of my icons are back.

If we are already given big big warnings about disabling stuff like
physics during configuration time, how about adding a warning when
putting custom installation prefixes that it is essential that those
dbus service files need to be taken care of?

Still, for programs like firefox, thunderwirds, wicd, my icons are
missing. Can it be that E is giving precedence to SVG files even though
I do not have svg support in E?

Cheers
Florian