Hello,

On Sat, Jul 26, 2014 at 3:49 PM, P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 20, 2014 at 10:53 PM, Carsten Haitzler <ras...@rasterman.com>
> wrote:
>> On Sun, 20 Jul 2014 14:02:52 +0800 P Purkayastha <ppu...@gmail.com> said:
>>> I have seen e get to high cpu when the spinning wheel starts, especially
>>> affects e19 even if the wheel is spinning in a different desktop than the
>>> currently visible one.
>>
>> even if not visible - it's waking up anbd changing object state - likely
>> figuring out it's a rendering NOOP and then doing nothing after a canvas
>> object
>> pass.
>>

> I think you should try out e19 on drivers that do not support the
> buffer egl extension. It not only takes more CPU when there is a
> single tiny rotating wheel on the desktop, the whole desktop stutters
> when changing desks. *Everything* is slower and choppy - desktop
> transitions, window movement, opening new windows, etc. My laptop is
> just over a year old (dell xps 13) that has the intel graphics and
> core i7 cpu just from the generation just preceding haswell. It is not
> as powerful as nvidia, but it should have plenty of processing power
> to run e19 without stuttering. The screen on the laptop is of
> 1920x1080 resolution (if it matters to e19). I have never seen e17
> produce this kind of choppy desktop.

I am wondering if there is not something else going on with your
hardware. I have a 3 years old i7 with intel GPU and a 2 years old one
also, both of them are running both GL and software backend pretty
smoothly and battery usage was actually lower than other compositor
(especially in software). I must say I haven't done any benchmark
recently as I didn't felt any behavior change.  So maybe there is
something else going on with your setup. Did you try to get a
valgrind, oprofile or perf trace to see what's going on ?
--
Cedric BAIL