On 11/27/2014 10:46 PM, Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:
[...]
> literally - many applications set their own cursor. when they set it they are
> entirely in charge. often it's the toolkit itself that sets it, but it
> literally is independent. e's own cursor has nothing to do with these
> app/toolkit set cursors.

A pity it ended up that way, but it's the price we pay for the
independence of the applications. On a Mac, for example, if you set the
cursor size, it stays set across applications, even non-Apple ones.

>> Which exists in many systems, including Ubuntu (which is what underlies
>> my e); pressing the Ctrl key alone used to flash the cursor location.
>> But that has now been removed for unfathomable reasons, which is why I
>> am seeking an alternative.
>
> not removed. you are using e - it just isn't there to begin with.

I'm sorry, I expressed that clumsily. On a system running Xubuntu/xfce
(no e17) the Ctrl-key cursor-location flash has been removed. I wouldn't
expect it to be in e -- that would need to be written as a utility (and
it would be useful). In fact, according to private email from a reader
who has lost write access to this list, there is:
> a little utility called "unclutter" that removes the cursor after a
> customizable timeout.. e.g. 2 seconds. Now, an unintentional (?)
> benefit of this little gadget is that whenever I grab the mouse...
> the cursor becomes visible and it automatically catches my eye.

Which sounds like what I was looking for...thank you.

///Peter