On Sun, 9 Aug 2015 03:19:07 +0200 Daniel Christopher Würl
<danielwu...@hotmail.de> said:

> Hello,
>
> as a long-term e16 user who migrated to fvwm some eight months ago, I'm
> toying with the idea of installing e19.
>
> Since I currently run debian 8 this would be a time consuming task, so
> I'd like to ask some questions before I spend some hours in vein ;)
>
> How stable is the API / theming API ?
> I really love to create my own themes, but I'm not motivated to fix
> them over every minor revision. Same goes for EFL, I'm perfectly happy
> to hack together some tools I need, but I'm not ready to adapt them to
> a moving target all the time.
>
> How long does a release of enlightenment "live" ?

there were some minor breaks (little things changed) between e17 and e18. we're
keeping things stable since then though theme expands and thus there are new
things to theme if you want a complete look, so over time it requires work
anyway to keep up.

> Mostly part of above questions, but having to compile the whole efl /
> enlightenment stack every other month would be a bit off-putting.

compiling efl is easy. if you bother once to write the procedure in a script
and then just re-run it every time. the script clones/updates git repos and
walks through n dirs re-building each one maybe with specific options. if you
bother doing it just once for yourself, then everything after that is gravy.
what that script has may vary from person to person, distro to distro, but the
raw content of it is on the enlightenment.org docs on how to get/build e and
efl. i scripted my builds so long ago i'ts not funny. i just don't get this "oh
but it's SOOOOOOOOOO hard" line. it's an excuse for not having simply written
down the commands in a script for yourself ONCE. i just use my scripts and for
me it's:

svup.sh
rbe.sh

(yes my svup.sh script was from svn days - i modified it for git - i have 2 as
i want to update separately to building).

the biggest bit of work is getting your dependencies installed (once). that is
the real work. not rebuilding or updating.

> Is there a documentation on the theming specs? I figured it out on e16
> over the years from looking at other themes without any references or
> documentation at all, and won't go that road again.

default theme has comments. there are docs on what edc/edje are and how they
work in principle. beyond that you'll be referring to default theme as a
"complete sample" and going from there. there are tools to edit edc files and
get instant previews (enventor) and a gui editor for elm themes (eflete) with
all things "gui".

> How flexible is the window behavior? Can I theme them as flexible as I
> can under e16 ?

far far far more powerful than e16. far more complex too.

> My current fvwm features some interactions like
> -left-click on the window barder/titlebar sends window down/to the back
> -scrolling left/right changes desktop
> Can I do that in enlightenment too?

yes. and much more.

> How is the file manager?

it's basic - does the job for me. icons for files, list mode, multi and single
window, dnd, removable media. note your distro and whatever its packages are
may determine how well it works eg wrt removable media. works like a charm on
arch.

> And if I dont like it, can I replace the bindings f.e. on the desktop
> icons of mounted drives to open the locations in another file manager?

no.