Raster, see inline...

On Thu, 7 Jan 2016 11:24:42 +0900
Carsten Haitzler (The Rasterman) wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Jan 2016 14:44:58 -0500 Christopher Barry wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Is there a way to dump my key assignments to a text file? Like a
>> cheat-sheet type thing?
>>
>> I go in there, get all gung-ho, set a bunch of cool hot-keys, then
>> immediately forget them... It would be great to be able to dump the
>> list of all possible actions with their current assignments (or
>> blank if unassigned).
>>
>> Possible? It's not even feasible to screenshot the dialog, because
>> I'd need an entire screenshot for every possible hot-key!
>>
>> Another ignorant question: when I select an action that is already
>> assigned to a key combo, why is the  assigned key combo not also
>> highlighted? This makes finding the hot-key, if set, not discoverable
>> by selecting the desired action, and is a bit confusing.
>>
>> Wondering if it's just using an inappropriate UI paradigm for the
>> task at hand. A sort-able, tabular format might be simpler and more
>> intuitive.
>
>it is a list of your bindings. each line is an entry/binding. no - it
>doesnt list the thing its bound to in the list next to it, but i think
>you have a special problem yourself of not remembering :)

yep, getting old. that's not really a 'special' problem... you'll enjoy
it too someday :)

>you can dump the e config into text:
>
>eet -d ~/.e/econfig/standard/e.cfg config out.txt
>
>trawl through out.txt.

Cool, I'll try that. Thanks.

Note: for debian, I needed to install libeet-bin to get eet.
      I'm going to hack up a script to do what I want with this data,
      and I'll post it later for other pre-Alzheimer's folk...

>> For instance, adding a new key would add a new table row of two
>> fields, HotKey and Action, with the left 'HotKey' field selected,
>> and the modal 'Enter HotKey' dialog open. Enter the HotKey, and if
>> it does not already exist, it's entered into the left field, and the
>> cursor is automatically moved to the right field where the type of
>> entry field is a sorted drop-down list with all possible actions to
>> assign - possibly filtered to exclude (or gray out) already assigned
>> actions.
>>
>> Then potentially this table could be sent to the printer as a
>> formatted two column table for use as a cheatsheet/backup, and maybe
>> even saved to an importable textfile to setup other boxes easily
>> with your preferred hotkeys.
>
>you have a very very very special problem there. i have never seen
>anyone with a printed out paper of keybindings for their wm on their
>desk. cubicle wall etc.

really. I do this a lot for programs I customize. blender has a
bazillion hot-keys. AutoCAD did as well. It's useful for me, and I'm
betting at least *one* other person in the World might use it if it
was available.

>this would be a lot of support to support
>printing for the only case i have ever heard of needing printing out
>of bindings. :)

yeah, a print button might be a stretch, but export to text that can
also be re-imported elsewhere would be very very very useful (to steal
your word usage) for duplicating settings to other boxen.

>the reason the ui is as it is is because that works best with the
>widgets we have atm with the least amount of effort. e has had forever
>on the todo to "clean up settings dialogs". we can improve them, but
>this takes a lot of time and effort.

dig it, and I really really really do appreciate all the work you've
done on e. I love it. It has no peer.

--
Regards,
Christopher