On Tue, 16 Jan 2018 20:23:02 +0000 Peter Flynn <pe...@silmaril.ie> said:

> This is (seemingly) not an Enlightenment-specific problem; it's just
> that I was running E when it happened. It appears to happen with XFCE
> and Cinnamon as well, but if anyone has a clue, please email me off-list.
>
> My Dell XPS 15 plugged into a classroom projector only displays the
> wallpaper background: no icons, no menus, no windows, no bryce, nothing,
> just the wallpaper.  I've used this classroom and projector for years
> with a lot of machines, this is the first time with this laptop.
>
> Details at https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=147&t=261862

That is truly odd. E and XFCE are quite different beasts. E draws its wallpaper
within the compositor using textures and OpenGL as part of redrawing the scene
graph (Or maybe using the CPU and shm buffers). What is and is not drawn is
controlled client-side (not in the Xserver at all). What you have is really odd.

Are you sure the wallpaper is set by E? you haven't run other gnome, xfce or
other tools to set a background pixmap on the root window? E never sets one (it
just sets bg color to black of the root window).

The forum indicates you have clone mode enabled which means E won't be
rendering 2 screens of content, and only one. E's randr (screen setup) stuff
will just configure 2 outputs to point to the same region on the root window,
and that's it. The Xserver should configure the scanouts/CRTC's to produce a
display signal for those pixels for both outputs (LCD panel and VGA). If one
output produces different content... The logical assumption is that one output
is NOT pointing to the same region or memory. One idea might be that somehow by
pure luck it's pointing to the texture memory for the bg pixmap and they just
happen to line up perfectly... normally if this happened i'd expect it to point
to random garbage in video memory.

Does the mouse cursor appear at all on that screen?

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com