On Sun, 03 Jun 2018 13:27:11 -0700 gr...@iowntheinter.net said:

> I haden't previously built E/fl from sources, but I now have and your
> fix works! thanks for looking into it.
>
> The keyboard stealing is probably to maintain the keyboard-centric
> tracker tradition. It is a bit aggressive, its an all-encompassing audio
> package though so the idea may be you don't really need to leave the
> program to get your "audio work" done.

still - it breaks wm's and functionality by being "greedy". it breaks simply
things like my volume up+down buttons changing the volume or even power, sleep,
suspend, lock, printscreen etc. keys that should always work.

thank god wayland is a world where this can no longer happen :)

>  From what I can tell, Renoise is best in class for tracker software. I
> haven't tried milkytracker... I did try schismtracker and the interface
> was a pain to compose in. milky looks a bit more friendly.

renoise is surely more complex with a lot more features it seems.

> I was also looking for something where I could edit samples and apply
> fx, although Ardour or Reaper could probably mix in. I have to admit pro
> audio software is one place where money talks. I'm happy enough there is
> pro audio software that runs on Linux for a decent price.
>
> I agree it looks slick with the E theme, Id try an efl derived tracker
> if there was one out there... one could probably pull the E libs into
> https://extemporelang.github.io/ and whip out something pretty quickly,
> if one where willing to deal in Scheme and do some LLVM debugging...

i indeed have heard of this. interesting but i always perferred the tracker
like display/expression. trackers have been too limited though with all
channels being bounded in a pattern. the lisp way just isn't my cup of tea. to
build something with the complexity of renoise would take a lot of work. would
need to make a good sample editor+recorder alone as part of it and that alone
is almost a project/program of its own.

Carsten Haitzler - ras...@rasterman.com