On Monday, 24 September 2018 12:07:48 BST Mick wrote:
> On Monday, 24 September 2018 06:34:35 BST Simon Lees wrote:

> > > OK, this file is not installed in gentoo.

> > > I tried unsetting $QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE in ~.xsession, but I still got
> > > gtk2.
> > > Then, set it to a blank value using e's Settings/Advanced/Environment
> > > Variables and this time it took.  However, I'm still no closer to having
> > > KDE applications launching with QT themes and icons, unless I launch
> > > them
> > > from within urxvt.
> >
> > Setting it from enlightenment's environment variable section should
> > work, the way its implemented at the moment is the least worst way we
> > could come up with to not have all users Qt apps broken by default.
>
> Yes, setting $QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE to a blank value using e's
> Settings/Advanced/ Environment Variables works in clearing the default gtk2
> value.
>
> Adding the contents of the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99qt5ct file Sergio mentioned
> also works in defining $QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME as qt5ct.
>
> What doesn't work is starting any KDE application and having it load the Qt
> theme I have selected.  The only exception seems to be when I launch a KDE
> application from within urxvt, whereby the Qt theme is respected and loads
> as expected.
>
> The urxvt terminal output where Qt theme works is this:
>
> $ kwrite
> qt5ct: using qt5ct plugin
> QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.
> qt5ct: D-Bus global menu: no
> QXcbConnection: XCB error: 5 (BadAtom), sequence: 955, resource id: 0, major
> code: 19 (DeleteProperty), minor code: 0
>

> While the terminology/xterm output where Qt theme is ignored is this:
>
> $ kwrite
> QApplication: invalid style override passed, ignoring it.

Ha! Found the solution:

Removed the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/99qt5ct file which is not installed by default
in Gentoo (may be a distro specific solution).

Used e's GUI to set both an empty QT_STYLE_OVERRIDE and QT_QPA_PLATFORMTHEME
as qt5ct.  Now Qt themes are recognised and loaded normally.  :-)

--
Regards,
Mick