For most people, SCCM or whatever is really just pushing the installer and
issuing the commands.  For example, I use WPKG.  The payload is the same,
you're just shipping with FedEx versus UPS.

Also, I don't think many bother to replicate Mozilla's upgrade servers and
re-point their clients.  Mozilla doesn't provide upgrade-only packages, so
each new release is a clean install/upgrade over the existing environment.
The user-profile is upgraded upon first-run of the new executable.

As of last week, Firefox RR and ESR diverged more significantly than the
noted plugin support.  52 ESR only receives security and bugfixes while 53+
will presumably get new features, but at the time, 52 ESR and 52 RR were
pretty much identical (minus plugin support).

Lastly, play with CCK2.  We find it easier to incorporate Prefs there
rather than use Autoconfig directly (though necessary for Thunderbird
configuration).  Also, I think it handles bookmarks, and some other
modifications that you mentioned.

Mike's articles on Autoconfig and Add-on Scopes are still valuable
information for configuration, though it's more difficult to include and
automatically enable extensions now.  I don't include any extensions (with
Firefox), so my understanding there is probably a bit out of date.
https://mike.kaply.com/2012/03/16/customizing-firefox-autoconfig-files/
https://mike.kaply.com/2012/02/21/understanding-add-on-scopes/

-Kris

Kris Lou