From: Enterprise [mailto:enterprise-boun...@mozilla.org] On Behalf Of James
Pearson
Sent: Wednesday, May 03, 2017 1:25 PM
To: Enterprise@mozilla.org
Subject: Re: [Mozilla Enterprise] Firefox deployment/configuration/update
guides?

Copus, Scott wrote:
> I'm trying to figure out a couple things w.r.t. CCK2.  Hopefully
> somebody has already figured out how to do some of this.  ;)
>
> CCK separation of settings:
>
> When using CCK2, does anyone know if it's possible to put certain
> configuration items into separate files?  For example, it would be
> great to be able to isolate settings such as home pages, bookmarks,
> popup exception sites, and so on into their own separate config files
> so I can utilize group policies to be able to push out
> department-specific settings.  I know I can just clone our default
> university-wide 'cck2.cfg' file and change one department-specific
> setting like the home page.  However, if there's a way I could
> separate these settings out into their own files that would make
> managing and targeting them with GPO-pushed files a little easier.

I don't think this is possible with CCK2 as it is - however, the cfg
file generated by CCK2 'imports' other javascript files from the cck2
directory tree - as the cfg file is javascript, then it should be
theoretically possible to 'import' separate department-specific settings
files in a similar manner ...

> I've experimented a little with the AutoConfig "before CCK2" section
> but I don't think any javascript variables I declare there are
> visible to the CCK2, as I've tried to declare my own "CustomHomePage"
> variable but couldn't get it to work.

This should work fine - I've just hacked a CCK2 cfg file and moved the
'bookmarks' settings outside the CCK2 config{} - which worked fine

e.g.

// "before CCK2" section
var mybookmarks = {
     "toolbar": [
       {
         "name": "XYZ",
         "location": "http://xyz.some.site/";
       }
     ],
     "menu": [
       {
         "name": "ABC",
         "location": "http://abc.another.site/";
       }
     ]
   };

// Autoconfig file written by CCK2
var config = {
   "displayMenuBar": true,
   "dontCheckDefaultBrowser": true,
   "disableCrashReporter": true,
   "disableTelemetry": true,
   "bookmarks": mybookmarks,
   "certs": {
     "ca": [
       {
};

If you are hacking a CCK2 cfg file, you need to change the value of
"version" in config{} - otherwise changes won't be picked up (when using
an existing firefox profile)

James Pearson