On Mon, 2 Dec 2013 09:45:44 +0400
Peter Lemenkov <lemen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All!
>
> 2013/12/2 Dave Johansen <davejohan...@gmail.com>:
> > I recently submitted ODB 2.2 to the EPEL for EL 5/6 and version 2.3
> > has been released (
> > http://codesynthesis.com/pipermail/odb-announcements/2013/000037.html
> > ). The wiki seems to indicate that updating software for feature
> > releases is discouraged (
> > https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/EPEL_Updates_Policy#Stable_Releases
> > ), so is updating ODB to 2.3 in the EPEL not really possible?
> > Assuming that's the case, is there a recommended solution for
> > maintaining access to newer versions of ODB for EL users?
>
> ODB is still a "young" package (in terms of existing in EL
> repositories) so I would update it anyway. However in the future ypu'd
> better to provide parallel-installable odb30, odb40 etc packages.

The questions to ask are:

Does the upgrade require intervention? ie, if someone did the upgrade
would they have to manually change config files, or migrate databases
or whatever?

Next, is the package a gui one that changes look and feel? ie, would
some user who updated suddenly have to relearn where the various
options are?

Finally, does it change abi/api any? If it was updated would people
have to rebuild other things to work with it?

I don't know the answers to these for ODB off hand. ;)

kevin