Jun 4, 2022 4:01:42 PM Troy Dawson <tdaw...@redhat.com>:

> 3 - We are taking the choice away from users
> After I stopped and thought about it, there are plenty of scenarios where
> people want epel for just one or two packages, which do not require crb.
>
> 4 - All the many small side cases.
> auto-enabling crb will have bugs.  RHEL and it's clones are in too many odd
> places for us to not hit some odd use cases we didn't expect.  We'd have to
> keep fixing the scripts.
I will just add that both of these issues can be remedied. For my part, I have
suggested edits on Troy's epel-release PR[1] to allow an opt-out mechanism and
make the script more robust. Users who are knowledgeable enough to check
whether the packages they use need CRB should also be able to opt out.

I think the real question is whether epel-release should be touching
subscriptions/repos it doesn't own in the first place (Troy's question #2).

Another option would be to have the %post script only print a warning if
CRB/Powertools isn't enabled instead of actually enabling it. This won't help
with automated deployments[2], but it should catch some cases.

[1]: https://src.fedoraproject.org/rpms/epel-release/pull-request/21
[2]: With my ansible hat on, it also doesn't help that the two most popular
epel roles on Ansible Galaxy don't enable CRB/Powertools, but I disgress.
--
Thanks,

Maxwell G (@gotmax23)
Pronouns: He/Him/His