On Tue, Jan 31, 2023 at 06:03:48PM +0000, Maxwell G wrote:
> On Tue Jan 31, 2023 at 15:01 +0200, Sagi Shnaidman wrote:
> Hi all,

Note that some folks cc'ed are not subscribed to epel-devel, so it
probibly rejected their posts. :(

> > Hi, Orion
> > Thanks for raising this question.
>
> Indeed!
>
> > I wonder if it's possible to continue to update collections to the
> > newest versions anyway. If someone wants to use the collection version
> > provided in "big ansible", they would use ansible 6.3.0 with all
> > included. If they want a newer collection, they can install a separate
> > newest RPM.
>
> I agree. I think we should update collections to the next major version
> (if it exists) after each RHEL minor release and then keep them updated
> with point releases in between. We update the ansible bundle to the next
> major version that corresponds to RHEL's ansible-core version at each
> RHEL minor release, so it makes to do the same with the standalone
> collection packages. Collection versions that are EOL upstream won't be
> tested with newer ansible-core versions.

Yes, when we first started to package collections we made sure (although
I have not checked if anything changed) that the seperately packaged
collections would override the bundled ones in the ansible package.

So, while the ansible collection of collections and ansible-core are
(and should be) closely tied together, the seperately packaged ansible
collections should be free to update as long as they continue to work ok
with ansible-core thats provided/etc.

So, in practice I personally have been thinking of 'ansible' as the
stable collection of collections, and the seperately packaged
collections as 'next' or 'fast moving' channel.

Just my 2cents.

kevin