----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----


I might get in devils kitchen with writing this , but I would not go
through
all the pain of converting to an 415-D unless there is a good reason for
it.
Reason number one would be - you got a wonderful O-200 for the Coupe ,
reason number two - you really intent to fly the plane within legal limits
of a max gross weight of 1400 pounds (unheard of) and therefore want to
raise the limits.
Because almost every Couper I talked to does not care about gross weight
anyway. Most fly alone, where a 1260 Gross is sufficient and if you fly
with
two 200 pound people, you are overweight anyway, no matter if in a 415-D
or -C, it is just a matter of how much you are overweight.(provided you
take
off with full tanks)
The airframe is not changed when converting to a 425-D. The plane will not
fly better or climb better (unless you add a new engine) - it rather has
some new limits to it, which the main one is the elevator limitation,
giving
you trouble flaring at (formerly) normal landing speed.
If you plan only to take occasionally someone with you to a sightseeing
flight, you can save you the hassle to go through the pain of changing the
trim tab, the elevator up limit, the landing gear (depending on serial
number) the stainless steel sheet over the fuselage tank ( you need to
remove the tank to get access - not an easy task) plus a few other things
I
can't think of right now, and just make some weight an balance
calculations
instead and fuel accordingly.
For the service letters from Ercoupe check here:
http://ercoupers.com/service/default.html
You might also check the conversion option to the later model 415-E here:
(depending on serial number)
http://ercoupers.com/cgi-bin/ceilidh.exe/337s/?C3d149aefbyd9-4534-975-00.h
tm

Have a good night.

Hartmut N3330H
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Ed Burkhead" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; "Coupe-List" <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 7:50 PM
Subject: [COUPERS-FLYIN] RE: ercoupe conversion


----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----



David,

I'm not a mechanic so I can't give you a detailed answer.

I know that you need to replace the metal sheet over the fuselage fuel
tank with an identical one made of stainless steel.  This is labor
intensive because of the difficulty of bucking rivets and getting access
so you can do that.

There are some other things that have to be done that are much les in
cost, labor and time.

You have to change the up travel of the elevator from 13° to 9°.  This
makes about a 5 mph increase in actual touch down speed but otherwise
isn't a big deal.

The log books need to have notations made and the metal data plate must
be modified (replaced or re-stamped with a metal stamping kit).

Skyport has a kit for the change with everything you need.

It has long been debated whether its necessary to send the paperwork to
the FAA because this is something EXPLICITLY allowed by the type
certificate A-787.

I'll forward this to the [email protected] mail list and you can watch
the better answers there.  ( If you're not a member of the list, you can
join at http://www.ercoupers.com  -- highly recommended!)

Ed Burkhead
http://edburkhead.com/
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    (remove the QQQ)

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 9:59 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: ercoupe conversion

Dear Sir:
I am contemplating the purchase of an ercoupe model 415-C and was
wondering
exactly what an upgrade to the model 415-D entails.  Also, what parts
would I
need to purchase and where would I purchase them from.  Any help is
greatly
appreciated.  Thank you.
David



-------------------------------------------------
This mail sent via WebMail at Columbia Power, Columbia, TN


==========================================================================
==
==
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



==========================================================================
====
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/


<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to