----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any advice in this forum.]----


I have a question here.  What is the speed of sound at 90,000 ft altitude.  It's certainly faster than at sea level.  I have my doubts as to whether or not he actually exceeded speed of sound at that altitude.
 
Larry
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 11:45 AM
Subject: Re: [COUPERS-FLYIN] Kittinger

At 09:25 AM 1/21/2004 -0900, Pete Thomson wrote:
Morning all, the Kittinger article was enlightening and I am glad Harry chose to share it with us. Perhaps, instead of focusing on what the gentleman may not have accomplished ( traveling at the speed of sound ), we should concentrate on what a gutsy move it was on his part to do what he did. There were many more unknowns back then than there are now, talk about a leap of faith. I will always admire him for what he did, and not concentrate on what he may not have done.

Let's not forget his other pioneering accomplishment:

He was reportedly the first 10-year old who, when his exasperated parent said
'if your friend jumped off a bridge, would you do it too?' actually responded in
the affirmative.

Worst beating he ever got in his life.

Greg
==============================================================================
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/



Reply via email to