----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----


I wasn't trying to belittle Kittinger's accomplishments (depending on
your definition of where space starts, he beat the astronauts and
cosmonauts in getting there), I was just questioning an interesting bit
of trivia.  And from what I've read, it seems that he probably did
break the sound barrier.

And for anyone interested that didn't follow the NASA link, the speed
of sound is a function of the square root of temperature (a =
sqrt(gamma*R*T), where gamma and R are constants).  The colder it is,
the slower the speed of sound.  And since temperatures are usually
colder at altitude than at sea level, the speed of sound tends to be
slower.

-Jeff Lewis

__________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! SiteBuilder - Free web site building tool. Try it!
http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
==========================================================================
====
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/


<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to