----[Please read http://ercoupers.com/disclaimer.htm before following any
advice in this forum.]----


Cyrus,

I would forget about trying to land on a mountain road.   I fly around the

mountains of Colorado a lot, and a mountain road is one of the last places

I am watching for an emergency landing.  Most mountain roads, secondary 
roads, around here are too narrow to get even a Coupe into.  They are 
either tree lined or are shelf roads with a mountain on one side and a
drop 
on the other.  I don't think I would ever consider it on a mountain road 
that I hadn't driven.

Take US Highway 50 for example as it crosses Monarch Pass, most of it 
wouldn't make a useable landing zone.  You have a parking lot on the top, 
the Monarch Ski Area parking lot, and not much else.  I not sure I want to

try to land on a road with a 6 to 9% grade.  The road is dropping almost
as 
fast as you are descending (assuming you are landing in a down hill 
direction). You might be better off landing up hill and stalling it into 
the road (hill) and let the landing gears take most of the load.  There
are 
a few passing lanes you could do land on, but what about the traffic?

If I lose an engine, my plan has been to turn down the valley away from
the 
mountain, and even with a high sink rate the mountain slope is steeper.  I

may only be 2,000 AGL at the top, but the mountain will drop a good bit in

two miles.  I may even be able to get down the valley to a straight
portion 
of road or a good field.

Next time you drive in your mountain area think about what you would have 
to do to land your Coupe on the road.

Richard
N99904


==========================================================================
====
To leave this forum go to: http://ercoupers.com/lists.htm
Search the archives on http://escribe.com/aviation/coupers/


<<attachment: winmail.dat>>

Reply via email to