On Oct 11, 2008, at 2:43 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

> On Oct 11, 2008, at 12:52 PM, Peter Michaux wrote:
>
>> and if it is partly in then which of
>
>> the several JavaScript 1.7 uses are in and if there will be "let",
>> "let*", "letrec" semantics.
>
> It's something else. See my reply about hoisting, just sent.

Mark and others have described the let declaration (let as new var) as
like letrec. Close, but since forward references are possible and
initiialization in the declaration is not mandatory, it's analogous,
not identical. The function definition form in JS is letrec. But let
as new var? I still say it's "something else"; I admit that "like
letrec" or "letrec-ilke" works.