oh, right, forgot e4x.

ok, one objection to \(){} is that it looks
too much like a function.
in particular, it "feels like" I should write
  var a = \(x){ return x; };
but that isn't right, {||} is sufficiently
different that it "feels like" I should write
  var a = {|x| x};

Brendan Eich wrote:
On Dec 1, 2008, at 3:47 PM, Felix wrote:

@ is unused
  @(a, b, c){}

@ is already used by ECMA-357 (E4X). Also some tradition of denoting dereference (Cyclone, managed C++ IIRC).

Hard to beat \ if we want the parenthesized formal parameter list in front.

/be



Douglas Crockford wrote:
Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
{|a,b,c| ...} or
\(a,b,c) {...} or
{\(a,b,c) ...}
The use of \ slightly bothers me because it is takes a character
> that now is exclusively used in the lexical (token) grammar
>( Unicode escapes, string escapes, line continuations)
> and gives it syntactic significance. This is probably not a
>fatal flaw but it would mean that the lexical uses of \ become less
>visually distinctive.
The language overuses / recklessly, and still it didn't die.
I suppose it could survive the overuse of \ as well.
Is recursion still desirable in this form. If so, then of the three I like
   \(a,b,c) {}
because you can think of the \ as being an abbreviation of function.
   \ name(a,b,c) {}
Just don't start your function name with u.
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss


_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to