On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:37 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:es-discuss-
[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Douglas Crockford
...
because you can think of the \ as being an abbreviation of function.
\ name(a,b,c) {}
Just don't start your function name with u.
Exactly, that's why I didn't mention this possibility. I don't
think it would be acceptable to have that \u ambiguity.
I think requiring a space after the \ if a name is provided would
remove the potential ambiguity.
Smalltalk does not have a way (other than variable assignment) to
name closures for recursive reference and it rarely has proven to be
a problem. If you really want to pass a recursive lambda to a
function g you could define it using a const:
const fact = {|n| (n<=1) ? 1 : fact(n-1)* n};
g(fact)
or more perversely:
g({||const fact = {|n| (n<=1) ? 1 : fact(n-1)* n}; fact}() );
(the second statement of the outer lambda wouldn't be needed if
const evaluates to the value of its initialization expression)
g(\ fact(n) { (n<=1) ? 1 : fact(n-1) * n });
That seems sweeter.
- Maciej
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss