On Feb 12, 2009, at 9:17 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

The JVM bytecode is a counter-example and we are not going to standardize anything like it in the near term (next few years).

I meant by "counter-example" an example of what not to do. Same goes for SWF ABC (used by Flash), which Adobe does not want to freeze and standardize. These bytecode forms require verification, bind to VM designs (or just bad old stack machine and typed operand thinking), bring in unwanted patent concerns, and terminate in nothing standardizable.

What's more, how many years (over 10?) has it been waiting for invokedynamic, from a single vendor who didn't need to gain multi- vendor standards-body consensus? Again if method_missing floats your boat, you have solutions (native for some browsers, translated for the rest), but bytecode is not any part of a solution for better language features. It's more an impediment.