On Feb 13, 2009, at 11:10 AM, Peter Michaux wrote:

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 10:51 AM, Brendan Eich <[email protected]> wrote:

JS is used by many more programmers, amateur and pro, than C. It has to have better human factors than C. That goes against being a good code generator
target language.

I think that may not be true in all cases.

I wrote "that goes against". It was not an exhaustive claim, it was about tendency and design focus. When push comes to shove, it means no goto, no call/cc, no low-level machine types (exception: ByteVector as discussed).


methodMissing is an example where both groups could benefit.

We added __noSuchMethod__ for TIBET, not for code generators. But I'm bored with this straw man already.


Tail calls is another feature I think benefit both especially as interest in functional languages is rising
strongly.

I happen to agree, but these already foundered during ES4 development.


When weighing the pros and cons of a proposed feature, knowing that
putting "helps compilers" in the pros column is considered acceptable
is important. Does "helps compilers" carry any weight at all with the
committee?

I can only speak for myself, but "helps compilers" is hard to judge without compilers in hand. And IMO it has to lose to usability and safety-last human factors for things like call/cc.


If it does then there is no need for anyone to dance around
it for fear of being called a distractor or disruptively off topic.
They can just say it as part of an acceptable discussion.

We are not subject to a moderator rejecting unacceptable discussion. I'm disagreeing with you, to the extent I can get clear statements to agree or disagree with, 'sall.

/be
_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to