Herman Venter wrote:
> I appreciate that this proposal does not try to go all the way on octal. I am 
> not so sure this is a good thing or that it makes the proposal more likely to 
> succeed.

I wouldn't be opposed to removing octal entirely from the spec, but
bearing in mind the section 16 wording on syntactic extensions, even
that would not prevent implementors from conformantly supporting it.

> For the record, I'm personally all for the proposed change, would also like 
> to all other forms of octal go away and most of all would like to have a 
> standard that defines just one language, not a powerset.
> 
> But even if the standard does change, I'm not going to bet on the 
> implementations following suit any time soon. I'm not so sure that having a 
> standard that is ignored is a good thing either.
> 
> If the change in the standard is agreed to by the representatives of the 
> implementers, they should first be sure that the change will in fact be made 
> in their implementations (and sooner rather than later, as in their next 
> release).

If there is a thorough test suite for specification changes in ES3.1:
<http://bugs.ecmascript.org/ticket/449>,
then I would expect there to be considerable pressure from developers
for implementations to pass that test suite, as there has been in
similar cases such as the ACID tests.

(Of course, a test suite cannot guarantee conformance, but it can test
whether implementors have tried to address spec changes and known bugs.)

I have submitted a bug for this change to parseInt, with a test case:
<http://bugs.ecmascript.org/ticket/449>.

-- 
David-Sarah Hopwood ⚥

_______________________________________________
Es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to