On May 18, 2009, at 11:53 AM, Neil Mix wrote:

But for this to be true, we would need to use the direct-eval detection hack I mentioned previously.

On the plus side, this would allow for feature detection of generator support, right? (Is there any other way to detect generator support?)

In JS1.7 you could object-detect:

    if (this.Iterator) ...

or similarly.

But I'm in the midst of writing up strawman:iterators proposal that doesn't add Iterator to the global object (nor any __iterator__ getter, no double underscores).

One generalized idea for object detection of keywords that could be used as if they named functions in code that would be work in old browsers:

if (Object.implementation && Object.implementation.supports('yield'))) {
        function gen() { ... yield(E); .... }
    } else {
        ... do something else ...
    }

I'm abusing Object as ES5 does, but harder, to avoid polluting the global object. I'm supposing Object.implementation could be useful for other properties than the supports method. This reads well enough, although its a bit long-winded altogether (but individual names are short enough). Comments?