> -----Original Message-----
> On Behalf Of Jonas Sicking
...
> I'd love to have ArrayBuffers be a native part of
> Javascript and be to binary data what js strings are to text. I.e. something
> returned any time someone wanted to represent in-memory binary data. But it's
> unfortunate if that data type has these properties.
> 

Endian issues are inherent in at least two situations:
1) allowing multiple-sized accesses (any of byte, 16-bit int, 32-bit int, etc.) 
to common underlying  byte addressable memory
2) moving byte-streams that encode multi-byte integers from one endian domain 
to the other.

If you have byte addressable data and allow either of these things then it is 
possible to run into endian issues.  Fortunately,  you can usually wrap the raw 
data with abstractions that don't expose the problems.  But the rope is going 
to be there  if you have this basic functionality.  Personally, I think the 
functionality is valuable enough to justify itself, even if it means that some 
programmer may get in trouble with it.

Allen

_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to