On 03/12/2011 12:02 AM, Brendan Eich wrote:
Take it from me, JS objects are not hashmaps and any would-be implementor who
tries that and tests on real code is quickly disabused of the notion. It's not
going to change, for named properties or any kind of property name.

This is true.

It is also the view of people who are significantly closer to implementations
than most web developers are.  HashMap is still probably the better abstraction
for most people's purposes.  It's not best for all, certainly, as some people
people either reverse-engineer the enumeration order or find one of the places
that happens to document it.  (MDN documents the behavior as an implementation
extension at least one place if memory serves.  The dime-a-dozen
DHTML-espousing site from which I originally learned JS didn't document it.)
Yet a substantial number of people never learn of the property ordering
behaviors in web browsers.  So while HashMap is far from what web-quality
implementations do, it is generally (there are certainly exceptions) not far
from how web developers use objects.

Jeff