I think Oliver's original formulation is more correct, but regardless this 
really would have to be specified using ES5 pseudo code.

This is along the path of what I was calling a "generalized" solution to the 
problem and as such I think it needs deeper/longer consideration to be sure we 
have it right.  I think a single argument Array.create is safer  if we are 
looking for something that could be immediately implemented in order to start 
phasing out __proto__.  Having Array.create wouldn't stop also providing a more 
general solution such as the one below.

Allen

On Mar 18, 2011, at 10:56 AM, Mike Shaver wrote:

> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Oliver Hunt <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I think so -- my proposal doesn't take instances, nor produce instances, it 
>> takes the constructor function (Image is one of a handful of DOM constructor 
>> that can actually be used to construct things) and returns a new constructor 
>> that will produce an instances of the target object with a modified 
>> prototype chain.
> 
> Andreas in IM that we hang it on the prototype chain, so that we get
> it everywhere without repetitive specification.  How about:
> 
> Function.prototype.createDelegatingTo = function (obj)
> {
>  var o = new this; // really new-with-apply(arguments) here
>   o.__proto__ = obj;
>   return o;
> }
> 
> Then Array.createDelegatingTo, Boolean.createDelegatingTo, Image, etc.
> should all work.  (I like the longer, grosser name because I think
> it's sort of a gross pattern, and not something that should use up a
> concise name.)
> 
> Mike
> _______________________________________________
> es-discuss mailing list
> [email protected]
> https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

_______________________________________________
es-discuss mailing list
[email protected]
https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/es-discuss

Reply via email to