The module system was designed to make it as easy as possible to use, both for
general ease of use and to encourage modular programming. Once you move to an
approach where programmers have to write their own linking specifications, it
tends to get much more complicated. When you make modules more complicated to
use, people don't use them.

Module loaders do give you the ability to do dependency injection, though, by
changing the semantics of module URL's.

Dave