On 4/17/11, Mike Ratcliffe <mratcli...@mozilla.com> wrote:
> I remember going over a few hundred thousand lines of JavaScript and adding
> semicolons because I had decided to minify it. I also remember that for
> months I was receiving bug reports from sections of code where I had missed
> the semicolons.
>
> Now I am obsessed with adding semicolons everywhere that they should go.

ASI changes program behavior.

Worthy (IMBO) reads on Jim's fickle server:
  http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/code-guidelines/#asi
  http://jibbering.com/faq/notes/code-guidelines/asi.html

There are plenty of beginners who haven't experienced those problems
(see SO for details).

> Personally I would welcome some kind of option to disable ASI with open
> arms. Garrett's strict mode warning idea makes sense to me but I am fairly
> certain that not everybody would welcome it.
IIRC, it was Asen who first proposed that idea. COuldn't find the
actual post, but:
http://dmitrysoshnikov.com/ecmascript/the-quiz/#comment-8

It would also take some evangelism to explain to beginners who don't
see the problems. Again, see stackoverflow.
--
Garrett