On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:12 AM, Oliver Hunt <oli...@apple.com> wrote:

> An implementation _could_ add a mode (*shudder*) along the same lines as
> strict mode:
> "die in hell ASI, i hate you with the fiery passion of a thousand burning
> suns.";
>
> And then make it a syntax error whenever ASI would occur.  I have
> considered this in JSC (albeit with a slightly shorter opt in string).
>
> It wouldn't have the backwards compat problems you get by "disabling ASI"
> as the points where ASI being removed changes behaviour would be errors :D

All things considered, another option for vendors is simply adding a
developer setting in their browser that enables warnings (or errors) for ASI
in the console. That would help a lot of current generation developers. Of
course, this wouldn't fix anything for non-browsers (like node). So for them
a directive would be nice, even if it was just to enable warnings while
debugging.

- peter