On Jul 8, 2011, at 4:05 PM, Luke Hoban wrote:

> I agree wholeheartedly with these.  In fact, I’d go further on (2), and say
> “Anything that can be done declaratively can also be done imperatively, using
> ES5 syntax”.

The problem here is that some new syntax cannot be faked with old syntax,
namely function calls, without quoting code in strings. This is not usable.

A second problem is that adding API functions means injecting more names into
some extant object, probably not the global object. Must all new APIs be
Object.createPrivateName and only that? We have already accepted proposals that
use built-in modules instead, so that there is no name pollution.

>   ES.next will have two syntaxes running on a single runtime, sharing objects
> across a shared heap.

The shared heap imposes some requirements on us, including that old code
operating using old syntax with known semantics on a new object must not behave
"badly" (details vary).

But this does *not* require that all new features, especially those requiring
new syntax to be *usable*, must have old, string-based, name-pollusting API
functions.