On 01.11.2011 22:53, Axel Rauschmayer wrote:
Can you show an example (and also the same example which is solved by
es-proposed super-calls)?

The technique I showed of course initially is designed to be used with
class-system; though, I think it can be adopted to class-free system as well.

Code taken from https://gist.github.com/1330574#L68

Object.defineProperty(Object.prototype, "super", {
   value: function (method) {
     let proto = Object.getPrototypeOf(this);

     // we should use exactly this link and not
     // proto.__proto__ i.e. Object.getPrototypeOf(proto)
     // since in other case we can go away to i-looping
     let parentProto = proto.__parentProto__;

     // remove "__parentProto__" property from
     // our prototype to avoid i-looping; at 3rd and
     // later levels the property will be found just deeper
     delete proto.__parentProto__;

     // call the parent method
     parentProto[method].apply(this, [].slice.call(arguments, 1));

     // and restore "__parentProto__" back
     Object.defineProperty(proto, "__parentProto__", {
       value: parentProto,
       writable: true,
       configurable: true
     });
   }
});

Two more comments:

- The code does not work if an instance method makes a super-call.

Yep, and the reason is still the same -- the lib initially was designed to work in border of classes and covers most of cases (excluding subtle). Perhaps it can be adjusted to support super calls from instance method.

Anyway, that's said, I showed it only to refer the issue which basically isn't a (big) issue and can be solved even with a library -- of course in borders of some aspect -- in particular -- with using classes, not class-free super-calls with subtle cases.

Though, the thread is moved to discussion of class-free super-calls, meanwhile it's still good to understand which easy (and *syntactically* easy!) solution we may have for classes in ES.

- No matter where you are in a prototype chain, you will always delete and
restore __parentProto__ in the second chain member (in the prototype of
|this|). Have you tested it with more than two recursive super-calls?

Nope, I didn't tested; you may send me an example though, it will be helpful.

What might work is something like the following:

When you look for super.foo(), traverse the prototype chain, starting at |this|. Look for the *second*
occurrence of "foo". Record the object where you have found it in
this["obj_of_super_"+"foo"] (which you delete after the super-call returns). In
subsequent super-calls, you can start your search at this.obj_of_super_foo (instead of |this|).

The above effectively records where a method has been found, but does it more
indirectly (and waits until super has been called).

Yes, it's also can be a solution. My solution is just "one-of". As you saw, I used other solutions for this -- mostly with using `caller` and statically saving the method name (which is OK for SpiderMonkey which has `name` property for functions).

However, this still fails when one of the super.foo() starts to call this.foo()
(which is perfectly OK if there are parameters involved that prevent an
infinite recursion).

It's also a tricky case. I would even say -- "an error in programming logic". In static language I guess you expect that this.foo() then calls foo of the super (current) class but not goes again from the instance, right? Don't know, it's really a subtle case, I didn't encounter it in practical programming, though I agree that the case should be considered when designing a language.

Dmitry.